BIN-06 Class Blog

Pronunciation Chat Box

Week 12: Basic Emphasis Pattern (2)

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Basic Emphasis Pattern: Structure Words

Contractions

To contract means to make something smaller. Contractions are a normal part of spoken English. Contractions reduce attention to structure words, helping to make the content words easier to notice.

Let’s make a difference between some typical contractions and their full forms. Notice the change in the number of syllables.




Full Form

Contraction

Full Form

Contraction

I am

I’m

he has

he’s

is not

isn't

I will

I’ll

they have

they’ve

we have

we’ve

that is

that’s

you have

you’ve

I would

I’d

she had

she’d

she is

she’s

who is

who’s

cannot

can’t

where did

where’d

I have

I’ve

we are

we’re

why have

why’ve

they would

they’d

it has

it’s

it would

it’d



SENTENCES TO PRACTICE:

1.

a. They’ve already gone.

b. They’d already gone.

2.

a. How long’ve you been there?

b. How long’d you been there?

3.

a. Where’d you put that?

b. Where’ll you put that?

4.

a. It’ll cost a fortune.

b. It’d cost a fortune.

5.

a. We’re shut down completely.

b. We’d shut down completely.

6.

a. We’d be pleased to help.

b. We’ll be pleased to help.

7.

a. They’ll cut the bread.

b. They’d cut the bread.

c. They’ve cut the bread.

8.

a. What’ve you put in the soup?

b. What’ll you put in the soup?

9.

a. Where’d everybody go?

b. Where’ll everybody go?

10.

a. I’ve run in the race.

b. I’ll run in the race.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Browse

Announcements